Saturday, February 6, 2016

"Of Light and Darkness" - Shayne Leighton

Of Light and DarknessOf Light and Darkness by Shayne Leighton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Title: Of Light and Darkness
Author: Shayne Leighton
Series: Of Light and Darkness #1
Publication Date: January 2016
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
My Rating: 2.5 Stars

Short Summary:

Raised by a Vampire in a secret society of Witches, Shifters, and Elves, Charlotte finds that she is the freak in her world of magic and wonder. When she stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of survival in this coming-of-age modern fairy tale is slim, resulting in a war between light and darkness.

My Review:

I finished this book almost a week ago and I've just been beyond baffled on what to say about it. There were just as many good ideas,characters and interesting plot developments as there were bored-to-tears, that doesn't even make sense and why, oh why are we still reading about this moments. I thought if maybe I sat on writing my review that things would somehow become clearer and I would instinctively know what to put down in words, but I don't. I honestly have never had to try so hard to make a review happen. I mean, seriously, I usually just wing it and hope it flies.

Okay... deep breath...

This novel had a lot of moving parts in it which almost seemed to detract rather than enhance. There were a multitude of creatures, with some of them showing up half-way through the book, making me question if it was truly necessary for them to even be introduced. In a way, I understand that the author was trying to add more 'magic to the magical world' but it just seemed like overkill, even if the creatures were kind of cool.

This book was very.... dare I say it... A.D.D. Or better yet, almost like a three year old who is on a constant sugar high roller coaster with all the ups, downs and temper tantrums in between.

The characters were interesting due to the nature of the actual beings while somehow remaining so very one-dimensional. And to be honest, the whole "father-turned-insta-love-can't-live-without-you" relationship thing had me pretty grossed out. It was an inconsistency at best, and at worst, ruined 99% of the romance. It was a pretty big yuck factor. Also, another inconsistency that really annoyed me was that at first, vampires completely drain their kills and don't do multiple feedings as well as it says they can't survive on animal blood and then bam! Fast forward and we have a coven of vamps living on animal blood until Charlotte somehow becomes a one stop-shop all you can drink buffet.

I don't know, it just seemed so very off to me and most of the book was all about the weird lust between daddy vamp and Charlotte where I would have preferred to see more of the battle between the vamps and the fae. Oh, and it was definitely on the very 'young adult' side of the genre with the writing although the author pushed for a more mature, dark side that never really came through

So, in a nutshell... oh, who am I kidding? I could barely put my thoughts down about this one let alone sum it up in a sentence.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment