Friday, February 12, 2016

"Rare Form" - Jen Crane

Rare Form (Descended of Dragons #1)Rare Form by Jen Crane

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Title: Rare Form
Author: Jen Crane
Series: Descended of Dragons #1
Publication Date: October 2015
Genre: Fantasy

My Rating: 3 Stars

Summary:
Stella’s life fast-tracks to extraordinary when she enrolls at Radix Citadel for Supernatural Learning, an enchanted college whose students turn furry on the regular. As Stella learns to navigate the magical new world of Thayer she must also find her animal form, a task as elusive as her ancestry. Stella soon faces an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn to manipulate an animal form she never knew she possessed. (Excerpt taken from Goodreads.com)

My Review:

I feel like I am on one of those teeter-tot things that we all used to play on when we were kids in elementary school during recess. On one side, I really enjoyed this book; on the other side, I really hated parts of this book!

The whole idea behind the story line is pretty interesting and in a genre that is flat out overused and unoriginal, this book definitely stands out for its original parts. Its almost like one of those trendy t-shirts I see people wearing that says their year of birth with the tagline of "All original parts". This book should have that on its back cover... except more like:

"Published 2015"
"Some Original Parts"

HA! I think I'm hilarious. Seriously, I crack myself up. Anyways, I definitely liked the characters in this book but I am so over the potential love triangle and I really just want the main character to drop that G dude. I seem to always find myself rooting for the guy that never wins. Shame, really, the book would be much better for it.

I was a little thrown off with the 'pace' of the writing. It seemed to go really slow and then it was zero to a freaking million in 2.1 sentences, with a sharp downhill turn back to zero. It was like the best part of the book came out of nowhere and was over before I could really figure out what happened.

This series has me intrigued enough to read the second book with the hope that it converts me to being on the definite love side.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment